La Mexicana Albina - That's me!

Sometimes I think I was born on the wrong side of the border... or that my heart thinks that it is Mexican, although my body is definitely Gringa! Will I actually post to a blog, when I can barely bring myself to write once a month in my journal? We shall see...

Friday, March 6, 2009

Confessions of a Lazy Mom...

Hmmm... What to write about...? It's been one of those days where I know I have so much to do, but I have trouble getting anything done. In my own defense, I am working today on the phone interpreting, so I am restricted to doing those things that I can do in-between calls, and while I'm on hold... like crocheting, writing on my blog or in my journal, writing letters to family, etc.. but I find that I usually while away the time playing on Facebook or getting caught up reading something on the internet. It's amazing how much time I can waste on here!

I really need to get a handle on my to-do list and schedule my days... I have discovered that I'm not the type that will just get around to doing what needs to be done, including such basics as housework. (A shocking discovery for anyone who has ever lived with me, I'm sure... NOT!) It is a good thing that my husband does laundry and dishes, because if it were left solely to me, we would be in deep piles of both! I am such a contradiction... I like things done a certain way, but I can't get the motivation to do them myself. At least I realize that I can't complain about it not being done the way I like if I'm leaving it to my husband to do... that's a good thing, right?

I have been planning for many months now to implement a parenting program called FAMILY Rules: Positive Parenting with a Plan (P3). It is the most complete parenting plan that I have seen, and I seen lots of them, because I have just been at my wits' end with my kids acting out and talking back... (which behavior I know many reading this have never witnessed from my kids because they are indeed the most perfect little angels and best behaved when they are with other people, but trust me, it is a MAJOR issue in our home!) I keep hearing that it's my fault because I raised them that way, and wasn't consistent with the discipline, so they now think that if they whine and cry and carry on for long enough we'll give in, like we always have. But it is really way out of hand, and we feel we need to nip this behaviour sharply now, before it grows more out of control... ANYWAY... to get back to the point... this program is a complete program that will do wonders in restoring parental authority and getting my kids to take responsibilty for their behavior and actions. So why aren't we doing it already? We started a couple of times, but it requires Correct and CONSISTANT implementation by the parents to work. Bottom line... I got lazy and tired of enforcing it. I realize that this is not acceptable behavior for me as a mom, so I'm kicking my own behind into gear, and organizing all of my tools to start the program again fresh. I'll let you know how it goes. Please keep us in your prayers!

Wow! That was pretty painful to write about... (sorry Bibi, not too many laughs in this post ;) ) But I'm taking a page from a good friend's blog who says that too many people want fluff friends, or put out a fluff image of sweetness and niceness about their situation, when in reality life is not all rainbows and sunshine (My words, but you get the idea). So I'm trying to keep this blog real and share both the struggles and the joys, and I hope that those who read it will feel like they have gotten to know me a little better after reading it.

4 Comments:

At March 12, 2009 at 11:48 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Yup, people like fluff. ;)

The kids are way worse with Frank than they are with me. They listen to me and respond quickly when I tell them to do things (usually.) When it's Frank it's insane. It can be so bad. He thought for a long time that I was teaching the kids not to listen to him.

In reality, I don't give in near as much as he does. And I'm stricter. And they know it. So they listen to me and will continue to fight with him. Being consistant is wonderful and you will love the results.

HOWEVER, they will get worse and worse trying to get you to give it up. So prepare for that. They will get bad before they get better. Keep going anyway because the other side is WAY better.

 
At March 12, 2009 at 11:59 PM , Blogger La Güerita said...

Thanks for the advice... I really need it!

You really did play a major role in me deciding to even try this blog thing... I enjoyed reading your blog, and I felt that I have gotten to know you better by doing it. Remember when we were roommates, I said I hoped that we would be the kind who stayed friends after college... I lost you for a while, but now I feel like we are doing that, even though it's all long distance! ;) (As if 3 hrs is really long distance, but you know what I mean...)

 
At March 13, 2009 at 1:54 AM , Blogger EMT said...

Hey, fun blog! Gracias for sharing. Un dia de estos I'll have one too. SO sorry about the terrible gripe. :( :(

 
At March 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM , Blogger La Güerita said...

LOL Ellen, your post sounds just like my motto... do you still think in Spanglish too?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home